Pot pie is basically my love language. I love trying new twists and variations on it. These veggie pot pie hand pies are perfect for your Meatless Monday meals or for any time of the week when comfort food is needed.
I have yet to meet a pot pie that I didn’t immediately love and want to marry. Pot pie is my thing, be it in actual pie form or with biscuit toppings. I could eat it any time of year, any time of day. But my one beef with pot pie has always been the heaviness of it. I ate pot pie once for lunch and then promptly went into a food coma at the office. This pot pie was heavenly, let me tell you. It had mashed potatoes lining the bottom, topped with the traditional chicken veggie filling. And on top, the flakiest of flaky pie crusts. I gorged myself, died and basically sat useless for two hours while I recovered.
For Weekday Supper this month, I knew it had to be pot pie. It’s my change to show my favorite dish in a new rendition. And since it is Monday and some people subscribe the notion of Meatless Mondays (or maybe you prefer More Veggies Monday), I thought it’d be fun to try my hand at a meatless pot pie. To put the new spin on it, I skipped out on the idea of a bowl of filling topped with a pie crust. Instead, think of this as sort of a large savory poptart. Who doesn’t love poptarts, right?
I’m really excited about sharing this one with the Weekday Supper family. Weekday Supper, as I’ve mentioned before, is all about encouraging family time and sit-down meals despite the hectic work week. I can honestly say, with pride, that this is one dish my entire family ate without complaint. We are big pot pie people around here.
*Note, if you want you could add a handful of frozen peas while cooking the filling. If I added peas to this, I’d be met with scowls and face a most certain death of peace and quiet. I opted to skip the peas.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. thyme leaves
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 egg, whisked with a splash of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the potato in a small pot of water until tender, 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high and add onions, cooking 2 minutes until translucent. Add in carrots and celery and cook until softened.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir well to coat the veggies. Add in vegetable stock slowly, whisking to avoid lumps.
- Add in thyme and then stir in the potatoes and cook for two minutes more. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Allow the mixture to cool before assembling your pies.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie crust into a rectangle. Use a knife and cut each piece of dough into 8 rectangles.
- Place a bit of filling on half the squares, then place the other halves on top. Use a fork and crimp the edges together. Prick the tops with the fork for a steam escape.
- Repeat with the remaining filling. Brush each with the egg wash and bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Be sure to check out some of these other Weekday Supper dishes!
Monday - Vegetable Pot Pie Hand Pies by Feed Me, Seymour
Tuesday - Shrimp Scampi with Linguine by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Wednesday - White Wine Garlic Mussels by Noshing With The Nolands
Thursday - Hot Brown Pasta Bake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Friday - Kielbasa Roll Ups by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings