Everything is totally better with bacon, amiright? Really, if something needs an extra jazzy element, just toss a little crispy bacon on there and you’re good to go.
My new favorite thing to top with bacon is pizza. Gooey, cheesy, saucy pizza. The bacon adds an amazing crunchy texture and a nice, zippy, salty flavor. It definitely beats the more traditional options like sausage or pepperoni.
P.S. Bobby Flay said that you should never use the word delicious to describe your food. Delicious means zero, no flavor, no taste. Use words that actually describe the food. It was a pretty cool tip. Notice, I didn’t say the word delicious once!
Never-fail pizza crust from Simply Recipes
- For pizza dough
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2¼ teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 3½ cups flour (bread flour or all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- For pizza (these are approximations, since pizza is subjective)
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- red pepper flakes
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or a large bowl, if you don’t have a mixer), sprinkle on the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved. Stir to dissolve completely if needed at the end of 5 minutes.
- Attach a mixing paddle to the mixer. Mix in the olive oil, flour, salt and sugar on low speed for about a minute. Replace the mixing paddle with a dough hook. Knead using the mixer and dough hook, on low to medium speed, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. You can also knead the dough by hand.
- Place ball of dough in a bowl that has been coated lightly with olive oil. Turn the dough around in the bowl so that it gets coated with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 to 1½ hours. You can also let it rise longer, if need be. (or several hours longer, a longer rise will improve the flavor).
- Once your dough has risen, punch it out a bit so it deflates.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Flatten the dough slowly on a lightly floured surface until it reaches your desired size. Pinch the edges a bit to form a crust.
- Using a pastry brush, brush a bit of olive oil on the crust.
- Layer your toppings on in the following order: pizza sauce, red pepper flakes, mozzarella cheese, bacon.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until crust is golden brown and crispy.