Baby showers are a lot of fun. Themed baby showers are even more fun. Baseball-themed baby showers are the best. Just think of the food possibilities, right? It’s almost as fun as a circus-themed baby shower.
Today, we’re celebrating one of my favorite gals, Jey. She’s already the mom to an adorable little blondie. But she’s about to become a mom with one of each. I can already picture how she’s going to dress her new daughter and it’s adorable! To celebrate this fantastic news, Joelen at What’s Cookin’, Chicago? is throwing her an awesomely themed baby shower! Jey and her family are BIG baseball fans (the Cubs… but we’ll still be friends). So what better a theme than baseball?
I contributed one of my absolute favorite treats. Every time we go to a Bowie Baysox game, we can’t leave without funnel cake. And who doesn’t love funnel cake, really? Right?! Since it’s a baby shower and babies are tiny, I decided to miniaturize. Mini funnel cakes for a tiny baby for an awesome friend!
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and milk until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Heat about one cup of oil in a medium sauce pan until very hot.
- Pour the batter into a small squeeze bottle or into a plastic bag. If using a plastic bag, wait until you are ready to cut the tip off.
- Slowly drizzle the batter into the hot oil, forming little circles.
- Fry the cake for about a minute until golden brown. Flip and fry until golden on the opposite side.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Repeat until you have no more batter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot.