Think back, if you will, to Saved by the Bell. Not the crappy college years or the new class but good, classic Saved by the Bell. We’re talking Murder Mystery episode here. Lisa Turtle, known for her ridiculous shopping habits, orders a mango tonic with a kiwi twist. Does she actually like mango? No. She orders it because it goes well with her outfit. Well, folks, today we are entering Lisa Turtle territory.
This blood orange spritzer is that exact drink. The one you want to be seen carrying around. It’s a girly, pretty pink libation that transports you directly to summer, no matter what time of year. For those of us stuck in perpetual winter, this might just be the ticket to feeling warm and bright again. Now, of course, it’s not JUST about the looks. The pretty nature of this treat is just an added bonus. It’s mainly about the taste, naturally.
If you’re a fan of lemonades, then you’ll enjoy this. It’s loaded with citrus – limes and Meyer lemons – that gives off a serious brightness. The blood oranges lend that vibrant ruby color and add a huge kick of sweetness to balance out the tarty flavor of the lime. Add it in with a simple syrup and lots of ice cold water and you’ve got a lemonade fit for a queen. For real. Kate Middleton would rock this drink. Make it now while blood oranges are out in full force.
- Juice of 1 blood orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- Cold water to finish
- Combine the citrus juices in a small pitcher.
- In a sauce pan over medium, combine sugar and water until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sugar into the pitcher with the citrus juices. Stir well to combine.
- Divide the mixture between two glasses filled with ice.
- Pour cold water (or sparkling water) over top and stir to combine.
- Garnish with lemon and orange slices.