Summer is meant for backyard BBQs, potlucks and picnics. Bring along some of this buffalo bread and you’ll be the star of any get-together this year.
My stance on a favorite season is a constant state of flux, depending on which season we are currently experiencing. When it is fall, I long for Christmas and all its twinkly lights and gingerbread scents. I almost rush fall along, waiting impatiently for the parties and the presents and the endless loop of music playing around the house. And once Christmas ends and we’re in the depths of winter, I slip into a state of constant annoyance over the chilly weather and pray that it will pass and spring will arrive quickly.
One small burst of warm weather has me pushing ahead towards summer, not even stopping to enjoy the slight breeze or the showers that almost always go hand in hand with spring. And then summer finally hits. I’ll sit on the deck by the pool and can actually feel myself willing it to hurry so I can just enjoy a pumpkin spice latte and some butternut squash. I am that person everyone loves to hate: the ruiner of seasons.
This year, I find myself in a different position. I’m actually enjoying summer. I’m looking forward to relaxing by the pool or doing cannonballs continuously off the deck. And the idea of taking a picnic down to our neighborhood beach makes me feel excited and giddy. It’s not a huge beach, just big enough for our community. I use the term “beach” lightly, since it is on a river and not some sparkling blue ocean. But it is our beach, covered in sand and shells, with a dock in the middle of the river for even better cannonballs and diving. There’s a great spot with picnic tables for parties and BBQs. And I cannot wait to head down there with a cooler and a stash of awesome bites to nibble.
I will most certainly be bringing along this buffalo bread. We’ve been making it for our family New Year’s celebration the past few years and it is always devoured in record time. It’s all the deliciousness of buffalo chicken without the time consuming process of cooking and pulling the chicken. Also, it pairs perfectly with Gallo Family Vineyards wines, specifically their Pink Moscato or their Merlot. The Merlot has a deep flavor that holds its own against the spicy nature of buffalo sauce. Love!
Be sure to check out the rest of the Backyard BBQ and Potluck from my other Sunday Supper friends. We’ve got you covered for the entire summer!
If you aren’t sure where to find Gallo Family Vineyards wines near you, use this store locator for easy searching.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Recipe from Macheesmo.
- 1 Loaf French bread, cut in half
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine butter, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, mozzarella cheese and hot sauce in a bowl and mix well until combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the two halves of French bread.
- Sprinkle blue cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese melts. Turn the oven to broil and broil for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp.
- Allow to cool slightly then slice into sticks.
- Buffalo Bread by Feed Me, Seymour
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Creamy Asparagus Puffs by Brunch with Joy
- Bibimbap Bar by kimchi MOM
- Chicken Satay by Curious Cuisiniere
- Citrus Grilled Chicken under a Brick by Nosh My Way
- Garlicky Sirloin Steak For A Crowd by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Grilled Mediterranean Salmon Burgers with Tzatziki by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Sides and Salads:
- Bacon, Strawberry and Farro Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Balsamic Blueberry Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad by One Sweet Mess
- Grilled Rainbow Potato Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Spicy Watermelon Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Tortellini Salad by Magnolia Days
- Coconut Shortcakes with Grilled Pineapple by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Frozen Root Beer Float Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Grilled Peaches with Brioche by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- S’more Cookie Cups by Desserts Required
BBQ Helpful Info:
- 5 Tips for Using BBQ Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement