Caramel bacon popcorn is the perfect combination of sweet, salty and smoky. A great thing for snacking while at a movie, on the couch or any time.
Today marks the posting day for the Leftovers Club, a fun group run by Elizabeth at Food Ramblings. While it is only my second month, I’m already super pumped at being part of this awesome collection of writers for many reasons. Obviously, the best part is all the treats we get to exchange. But my favorite part is sharing. I love cooking and baking. All too often, however, I overbake and need to find a place for all of the leftovers. The trash is not an option but my co-workers, friends and family can only take so much. Being part of the Leftovers Club allows me to still fulfill my need to be in the kitchen while burdening someone new with my goodies each month!
This month, I was paired with Jennifer from Recipe4Random. I knew immediately that luck shone down on me. Because Jennifer posted a triple onion turkey burger. Hello, we will now be friends for life. Who doesn’t love a triple onion turkey burger? We discussed our likes and dislikes, food-wise. Jennifer isn’t a fan of nuts unless they are in a brittle. And me? Well, no dried fruit but really, I’d even try something with dried fruit.
I decided to send Jennifer some caramel bacon popcorn. I’ve been toying around with the idea for a while now, no time like the present! I loved the idea of taking something as sweet as caramel and matching it up with something salty and smoky, like bacon. I was pretty happy with the results and I really hope it traveled well! I rejoiced at the ability to send this away to someone else. I’d likely eat the entire batch in one sitting while watching trashy reality TV or old Taxi reruns!
Jennifer, I hope you enjoyed the popcorn! Friends, consider joining the Leftovers Club! For more info, head over to Elizabeth’s blog with all the details. It’s a great way to meet new people and share some food!
- 5-6 slices of bacon, crisped and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coat a spatula and mixing bowl with cooking spray. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat vegetable oil over medium high. Add the popcorn kernels and cover. Move the pan every 30 seconds or so as the kernels pop.
- Once there is 2 to 3 seconds between pops, remove and transfer to the bowl. Remove any unpopped kernels.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, butter and ½ cup water. Cook over high heat for 10 minutes until golden yellow caramel.
- Remove from heat and carefully whisk in the baking soda, it will bubble. Quickly fold in bacon bits.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss well. Lay the popcorn out on the baking sheet. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.