Waffle ice cream sandwiches are definitely a summer tradition. Chocolate malt waffle ice cream sandwiches are an even better one!
And so Waffle Week 2014 winds down to an end. We’ve had some fantastic this week,right? I can’t decide which I like best. I’ll probably make them all and eat them all in one sitting. Then will immediately bust out my comfy pants and prepare for the waffle sweats.
I couldn’t let the week go by without my own contribution, of course. And while I adore savory waffles that have unusual flavors, I needed to use this opportunity to go back to childhood. My brother, when we were kids, would eat an Eggo waffle, freshly toasted, with a giant dollop of ice cream. A waffle ice cream sandwich. Now, I was never big on ice cream sandwiches, they hurt my teeth. But as soon as I started brainstorming waffle recipes, that one popped in my head. I have the exact mental image of my brother, now 34 with two kids, as a little blonde boy with a waffle in his hand. Waffle ice cream sandwiches were inevitable.
I did up the ante a little. I love Eggo waffles as much as the next but hell, I’ve got my own waffle maker now. Instead of just a traditional waffle, I went with chocolate. Not just regular chocolate. Chocolate malt. Because chocolate malt. I love everything malt flavored. It gives this distinct taste, somewhat like Ovaltine (be sure to drink yours!) that I cannot resist. And in this waffles, it gives them just a hint of chocolate malt flavor. Feel free to use whatever ice cream flavor you fancy in these sandwiches, there are no rules. I’m a cool mom (gratuitous Mean Girls reference). I went with cookies and cream because I had it and it is delicious. But I’m thinking a Reese’s peanut butter chocolate ice cream would be killer in here.
I hope you enjoyed this week of delicious waffles! We’ll be here, same time, same place, next year for Waffle Week 2015! And a HUGE thanks to my amazing friends Elizabeth, Danae, Ashley and Aly! When are we getting together for brunch, ladies?!
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chocolate malt powder
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat your waffle iron according to package instructions.
- In a bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and chocolate malt powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and buttermilk. Pour the wet mixture into the center of the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into each cavity on the waffle maker. Let it cook for 7 minutes until cooked through. Repeat with remaining waffles.
- Once the waffles are cooked and cooled slightly, cut each waffle into 4ths. Place a scoop of ice cream on to one fourth, then place another piece on top. Repeat until you have no more waffles.