You know that episode of Saved by the Bell, when Jessie Spano starts taking the caffeine pills to stay awake and study while also performing in the ultra-cool band Hot Sundae? You know which episode I am talking about. Everyone knows that episode. She ends up having a breakdown, screams about how she’s so excited yet so scared and then gets a really, really long nap?
I sympathize with a girlfriend. I feel like there is not enough coffee in the world. Or at least it doesn’t work nearly as fast as I need it to. When she starts freaking out about how there’s no time? It’s so true to life. I mean, I won’t act like some sort of crazy nut-job but still. Coffee? My greatest friend. And also, grilled cheese.
Because you can make grilled cheese quickly. So when you are running out between practice or to another event, grilled cheese is a life-saver. This one is my new favorite grilled cheese sandwich. You take a chunk out of the middle and then toss an egg inside. Basically, an egg in a hole. Then, load it up with cheese. Once you cut that baby in half, drippy, runny deliciousness will flow all over your sandwich. It’s like heaven.
- ½ Tbsp. butter
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 1 egg
- 2 slices American cheese
- Head a skillet over medium. Add the butter and let it melt.
- While the butter melts, use a small biscuit cutter and cut a hole in the center of one piece of bread.
- Place the bread with the hole into the skillet. Crack the egg into the center of the bread. Let the white set on one side. Gently slide a spatula under the bread and egg, being careful not to break the yolk. Gently flip the bread so the egg cooks on the opposite side.
- While the other white cook, place the cheese on top of the bread, then place the second slice of bread on top.
- Gently flip the sandwich so the top piece of bread toasts. Once the bottom bread slice is golden, remove the sandwich.
- Slice immediately before serving.