Hearty buffalo chicken sandwiches are perfect for satisfying your craving for all things saucy, spicy and crispy. Great for eating while sipping a cold beer!
When it comes to sandwiches, there is none as satisfying as the hearty buffalo chicken sandwich. That may be a bold statement but I stand by it whole-heartedly. PB&J with the crusts cut off just doesn’t do it for me. When I’m looking for something substantial and hearty, I go for buffalo chicken sandwiches, hands down.
It’s a great sandwich for the upcoming summer season. The spice of the buffalo sauce, believe it or not, will cool you off. Spicy food makes you sweat and, gross as this is, sweat is the body’s natural air conditioning system. Plus there isn’t much to compare with sitting on the deck, eating a couple of these sandwiches while drinking a cold brew and watching a sports game. If that’s your sort of thing, of course.
The trick here is, once again, the double dredge. Seriously. Try making this chicken without double dreding and you’ll see, it just doesn’t compare. The double dredge is what gives this chicken a thick coating. The buffalo sauce sticks to that coating and creates a saucy, coated piece of buffalo chicken. Top it with a healthy spoonful of blue cheese crumbles, naturally. We used pretzel rolls, like Megan (this recipe is lightly adapted from hers, ever so lightly) and it turned out fantastically. The salty, slightly crisp pretzel rolls is a perfect compliment.
Serve this with a cold beer, perhaps a Monty Python Holy Grail Ale, if you’re into beer. Or just a giant glass of pink lemonade.
What’s your favorite summer sandwich?
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup buffalo sauce, divided
- 6 to 8 chicken breast tenders
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 6 pretzel rolls
- In a large dish, mix buttermilk and buffalo sauce. Place the chicken in the sauce, mix to coat and set in the fridge. Marinate for at least 1 hour so the chicken stays moist.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Preheat the skillet with vegetable oil. As it heats, remove the chicken from the marinade.
- Dredge it in the flour mixture, then dip it back into the marinade and dredge one more time in the flour.
- Place it into the oil and fry for 4 to 5 minutes per side until the coating is crisp and the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oil and place on a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Pour the remaining buffalo sauce over top of the chicken and toss to coat.
- Take your rolls and slather buttermilk ranch onto the bottom of each roll. Lay one to two chicken tenders on top of each roll.
- Top with crumbled blue cheese and lay the top of the pretzel roll on.
Want to see more like this? Try some of these recipes!