Chicken can certainly be a mundane dinner option, especially if you eat it often. Honey harissa chicken is a spicy yet sweet way to change up your boring chicken game.
Sweet flavors are always welcome on my plate, no matter what the situation. And while in the past years I’ve gravitated slightly more towards salty snacks and bites, sweet things will always be on my mind. But what I love more than flat out sweets – more than a candy bar or bite of chocolate – is sweet combinations. Sweet and salty or, even better, sweet and spicy. A sweet heat is the best kind of heat and the best kind of sweetness.
When I first heard of harissa – most likely from some blog that posted some recipe that sounded interesting – I had no idea what type of flavor it gave. I just grabbed a jar on a hunger-driven whim while at the grocery store. One quick whiff made it clear that harissa would certainly be the heat in a sweet heat combo. Harissa is actually a chili pepper paste (in other words, hot). It is Tunisian in origin, is bright red and is incredibly flavorful, if a little strong.
I wanted to slather it on some chicken, since the chicken game gets incredibly tedious after a while. But I knew that using harissa straight, directly from the jar, would prove dangerous. Using new ingredients is always a gamble at my dinner table. It is more often than not met with eye rolls, some sort of complaint and an evening of groans and sighs. So instead, I cut it with some honey. Ok, a good bit of honey. It cut down that heat enough to please my family, but not so much that you couldn’t get the flavors from the harissa. It’s definitely a dish that will show up on our dinner menu in the future! How do you serve your chicken when boredom sets in?
Adapted from The Endless Meal
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, miced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken on a baking sheet and bake or 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through.
- While the chicken bakes, start the sauce. Heat oil over medium heat in a sauce pan.
- Add in honey and harissa, vinegar and garlic and mix until combined. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low.
- Simmer until the chicken finished and the sauce thickens. Spoon the sauce over top of the chicken, then place the chicken under a broiler for 3 minutes. Serve with additional sauce.