Recently, I spoke with a restaurant owner regarding trends in the food world. Desserts, drinks, food, preparation methods, tools. And for dessert, he mentioned sweet with heat. Ice cream with chili. And I did a little bit of a backflip. Because I love sweet heat, as you may remember. It’s my thing and it makes me infinitely happy.
And thus, from that conversation was this treat inspired. Jalapeño citrus sorbet. Originally, I wanted to go with lemon jalapeño. But then, I figure why the hell not add limes, too? Be warned, this isn’t for the timid. You should have strong tastebuds and you should also probably be just a little bit saucy, a little bit spicy of a person to eat this. It’s zingy and fresh and bright and spicy and zippy. All of the things I love in a cool sorbet.
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1½ cups water
- juice of two limes and two lemons
- 1 jalapeño, roughly chopped
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a blender. Blender until well combined.
- Strain through a fine strainer to remove the bits.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream machine and churn for 30 minutes until it thickens.
- Transfer to a container and freeze for 24 hours.