Branny from Branny Boils Over made some browned butter butterscotch cookies. She is wise and knows that everything is better with browned butter. These would definitely be the first to go off the dessert table!
And for my contribution, I’m whipping up some oat flour orange poppyseed mini muffins. When I picture a baby shower, I picture brunch. Desserts, breakfasts, virgin mimosas floating around. And baskets filled with muffins. Of course, Nicole is the author of an amazing cookbook that uses only almond flour. I didn’t have any on hand but wanted to honor her in some way, so I went with oat flour. This was my first time experimenting with oat flour and I think I might start to use it more frequently. It gave the muffins a great texture, not too moist but not too dry. And it lends a slightly sweet, nutty taste. Perfect for a baby shower brunch!
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- zest of one orange, divided
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 6 Tbsp. Greek yogurt
- For topping:
- 2 Tbsp. oat flour
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. cold butter
- half the orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 375 and fill a mini muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, orange zest, oat flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together butter, egg and Greek yogurt. Pour the mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tin holes, filling 3/4 to the top.
- Prepare the topping by combining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and orange zest in a bowl. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping onto the muffins.
- Bake for 16 minutes until cooked through.