In the Mayfair section of Philadelphia, there is a bakery called Haegeles. It is small, old-fashioned and has the best treats. When I was a kid, Haegeles always meant good things. Family visits, holidays. Good things came in a Haegeles’ box. Good things STILL come in a Haegeles’ box.
My absolute, all-time favorite treat is from this adorable bakery. Jelly sticks. I’m not joking when I say this: I hoard jelly sticks. I’m not great at sharing to begin with. But when these crispy, sweet, sugary treats are in play, I do not share. Not even one. I will eat the entire box in one sitting, by myself. They are that good.
And while these treats are not from Haegeles, they are so darned close I can’t taste a difference. I made a big batch this year. I’m giving them out as food gifts to my family. I realize that may sound cheap or lame. But when I think of these jelly sticks, I always think of family. The things we’ve done together or the events we’ve celebrated. If you aren’t selfish, these treats are absolutely worth sharing with the important people in your life.
10 days until Christmas, everyone. There’s still time to whip up a batch for those you care about!
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup to ½ cup jam of your choice
- sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly-floured surface, lay one sheet of puff pastry. Use a rolling pin and roll it out to about 12 inches by 8 inches. Set aside.
- Roll out the other sheet of puff pastry to be the same side.
- Take the jam and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds so it is very soft and spreadable.
- Spread the jam evenly on one sheet of puff pastry. Lay the other sheet of puff pastry directly on top. Use your rolling pin and roll the two pieces together gently so the jam does not spread out of the pastry.
- Slice the pastry in half length-wise. Then, slice the pastry into 1″ strips.
- Using your fingers, twist the pastry gently into small twists. Set on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- While hot, sprinkle with sugar.