When breakfast is on the line, quinoa is the way to go. It’s filling, it’s hearty and super versatile. Quinoa cakes with garlic kale are just one of the many fantastic options.
Over this past weekend, I had the extreme honor of judging the Taste of Cambridge’s annual Crab Cook-Off. Let me tell you, if you are in the area and haven’t been, go. Plan your trip now. It’s not to be missed. Cambridge restaurants and shops all gather on the main street for a fun day of shopping, eating and partying. This year, I ate my weight in crab treats. Some of the stand outs included an amazing crab cake (or three), a crab pretzel unlike any other, crab nachos that were so amazing, I’m still dreaming about them and the most elegantly presented cream of crab soup I’ve ever eaten.
Needless to say, this week is all about detoxing. Everything was fantastic, perfectly seasoned and spiced, delicious, dreamy, amazing. But I left with an incredibly full and happy belly and woke up with about ten extra pounds on my thighs. I’m ok with it, the extra weight is worth it. But I need to clean out a little and head back to some healthier eating. That’s where this quinoa cakes with garlic kale come into play.
At this point, everyone’s heard of quinoa. It’s no longer a healthy buzz item but a full-blown power player in the food world. It’s high in protein, so it keeps you full for an extraordinary amount of time. I combined it with some chopped onion, a little garlic, some cheese. Then you fry them just a tad to get them nice and crispy. Dress the entire mess with a little kale that’s been sauteed in garlic. And top it with a fried egg because, well, fried eggs. Believe me when I say this breakfast is hearty, filled with good-for-you ingredients and perfect for throwing together in a snap!
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large bunches kale, torn
- 1 tsp. butter
- Oil for frying
- Combine the cooked quinoa (2 cups quinoa cooked yields around 4 cups in total), egg, onion, parmesan cheese, 2 cloves garlic and bread crumbs in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Take the mixture and form it into patties. Heat oil over medium high.
- Once at temperature, take the patties and fry them in batches until golden on one side. Once golden, flip and cook until golden on the other side. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Once the patties are complete, melt the butter in a pan. Add the remaining 2 cloves of garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the kale and toss to coat. Sautee until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Take a patty it with kale. Add a fried egg on top, if you choose.