I love a good quesadilla. Some people want theirs to include cheese and cheese only. Others may like chicken and cheese but not much else. Me? I load my quesadilla up to the point of overflow. There’s got to be chicken and cheese, of course. But also, a ton of peppers and onions for an awesome crunch factor. And what good is a quesadilla without a little avocado?
Especially if the quesadilla is a spicy one. This particular quesadilla is filled with blackened chicken. The spices, let me tell you. They are spicy and delicious. But they need a cooling factor. So I turned to avocado. And the flavor combination of the chicken and the cool avocado and the peppers and onions and Greek yogurt topping, well, it’s excellent.
If you’re like me and you love your quesadillas bursting at the seams, this one is for you! If you aren’t a fan of spice, simply adjust the spices to your needs. The bonus? This quesdadilla, which is super filling, clocks in under 500 calories. A perfect dinner!
- For spice mix:
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- For quesadilla:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 2 ounces cheese (Cabot Jalapeno cheddar was used in this preparation)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ small avocado, mashed and divided
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 6 ounces non-fat Greek yogurt
- Blend the spice mix in a small bowl. Coat the chicken evenly in the mix. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a sauce pan over medium high. Add half the chicken and cook for five minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining olive oil and chicken and repeat until chicken is cooked through. On a clean, flat surface, begin assembling your quesadilla.
- Lay two tortillas flat. Add avocado to each tortilla, spreading it across. Add 1 ounces of cheese to each tortilla on top of the avocado.
- Next, sprinkle red onion and bell pepper on top of the cheese. Divide the chicken into 3 ounce servings. Add the chicken on top of the veggies and place the remaining tortillas on top.
- Spray a frying pan with non-stick spray and heat it over medium. Add the quesadillas, one at a time.
- Cook for five minutes until crisp, then carefully flip. Cook for five minutes until the other side is crisp then remove to a plate.
- Slice it and top it with 3 ounces Greek yogurt