When it comes to tailgating and game day, I’m a big fan of fancified cocktails. This strawberry mint red moscato sangria ups the ante and takes tailgating to a new level.
Fall is a really event-filled, action-packed time of year. Back to school, Halloween and the beginning of the football season. I’m not going to pretend that I’m a big football fan. I can take it or leave it. But once place where I always join in is the tailgate. After all, who can resist a fun party, right?
This Sunday, I’m participating once again in Sunday Supper and the theme couldn’t be more fun and seasonally appropriate: tailgating. There is something about that fantastic style of parking lot party. It brings together fans, establishes such a camaraderie. And the food and drinks, let’s not even get started. Tailgates aren’t just hot dogs on a tiny grill and a six pack of cheap beer anymore. These parties are being elevated and taken to an entirely new level of delicious.
I knew, when creating my recipe, that I wanted something that would travel well and could be made in advance to spare any additional trouble. But it had to be different, new and a step above a cheap brew. Sangria, of course. It only gets better the longer it sits so it was the perfect tailgating libation. I used Red Moscato from Gallo Family Vineyards, known for its bright berry flavors. I love a good moscato and can absolutely picture sipping this one while sporting team colors and sitting in a foldable camp chair. To take the sangria to a new place, I added some strawberries and a few sprigs of mint. The moscato is sweet and the mint cuts through the sweetness just a bit, giving it a nice refreshing flavor.
No matter what team you support, you should always be gracious enough to lug some delicious grub to your tailgating party. Start with this sangria. Then head over to the rest of the Sunday Supper crew and put your entire party together!
For some great ideas on wine and BBQ pairings, check out some of these suggestions from Gallo Family Vineyards. Also, be sure to check out this store locator for spots where you can pick up Gallo wines and definitely use this $1 off digital coupon!
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
- 1 bottle Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato, chilled
- 15 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint
- 12 ounces sparkling water
- Place the strawberry halves, mint leaves and lemon slices in a large pitcher. Pour the wine on top and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Before serving, pour in the sparkling water.
Check out the rest of our tailgating eats here!
- Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- Basil and Sundried Tomato Hummus by Ruffles & Truffles
- Braided Stromboli by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Braised Brats with Apples and Onions by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken and Chorizo Nachos by Family Foodie
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Greek Style Grilled Wings with Yogurt Dill Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Meatball Subs with Garlic-White Wine Sauce by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mini Chorizo and Cheese Quiches by Magnolia Days
- Pizza Rolls by Momma’s Meals
- Ricotta Toasts with Tomatoes by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili by Jelly Toast
- Spicy Grilled Clams in Foil by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Mint Red Moscato Sangria by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Dip with Za’atar Chips by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Ultimate Stadium Nachos by Melanie Makes
- Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.