Breakfast is super important when it comes to fueling your body. This super greens breakfast toast is healthy, hearty and filling.
The old saying “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is a little cliche. And for years, I didn’t believe it. I’d skip it or just grab a quick yogurt on my way out the door in the morning. Honestly, a hearty breakfast is something you come to appreciate as you get older. In my younger years, I’d skip breakfast and, more often than not, lunch. A couple of gooey Laffy Taffys from the school store would do the trick and I’d be good until dinner. Now, I gag at the thought of it. If I don’t have breakfast, I want to eat my own arm off by 9:30. A yogurt won’t cut it anymore.
This super greens breakfast toast is one of my favorite breakfasts these days. It comes together really quickly, which is always an added bonus in the morning. But the real reason I love it is the fact that it is so hearty while also healthy. Crisp, colorful, fresh. The kale and spinach are loaded with vitamins. I usually go with the idea that the greener it is, the better for you to eat. And this breakfast toast is overflowing with delicious greens. Toss in, obviously, some eggs for protein. There is no way to eat this and not feel full.
I love how the spinach takes on a garlicky, almost buttery flavor while the kale retains some crunch, some bite. Anything is delicious when you throw an egg on top, all drippy and soft. This one here, it’s a winner.
- 2 slices of bread, toasted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 handful of spinach, torn
- 1 handful of kale, torn
- Heat 1 tsp. of butter over medium in a skillet. Once melted, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in kale and cook about 2 minutes. Add in spinach and cook until wilted. Remove to another plate.
- Melt the other tsp. of butter in the skillet. Crack in the eggs and cook until the whites have set but the yolk is still soft.
- To assemble, place the spinach and kale on top of the toast. Top with eggs. Sprinkle with sea salt.