Tomato bacon jam is the ideal appetizer. It’s a little bit sweet, a little bit smoky and perfect on top of crackers or burgers.
In life, there will always be people who are worth celebrating. Mother’s Day and Father’s Day jog our memories and give us reason to thank those who influence us. But it’s not just about thanking fathers. It could be a godfather who has always been there for you or a grandpop who came over every Sunday to make you cheesesteaks and french fries. A brother who always makes you laugh or a mom, even, who stands by and helps you grow into the person you were meant to be. Yes, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day both have labels but really, it should be about thanking and appreciating those who help you to grow.
And of course, whenever you say thank you it should always be done with food. This week, I am participating in the Sunday Supper Movement. It is a call to get back to the dinner table and eat together. These days, people lead busy and hectic lives without a minute to spare for togetherness. Instead, take just one day a week to gather at the table, talk about your day, enjoy a meal together.
For my Sunday Supper contribution, I went old school man-pleasing with bacon. It’s getting old and tired but the saying still stands true: everything is better with bacon. This tomato bacon jam flew out of the jar here. The bacon gives a great smoky flavor while the brown sugar has just a touch of sweetness. I slathered it directly onto crackers but really, this would be perfect on top of a burger, maybe topped with a fried egg.
- ½ lb. bacon
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Use tongs and remove bacon from the skillet, placing it on a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Add the onion to the skillet and cook until translucent.
- Crumble in bacon and add it back to the skillet with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes until thick. Allow to cool then transfer to a jar. Serve with crackers.
Be sure to check out the other Sunday Supper posts below!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.