An informal Facebook poll led me to post this recipe today. It is also one of my most favorites.
Grilled cheese. It’s simple, right? But you’d be surprised at how many ways you can screw it up. There’s a method to the madness when it comes to grilled cheese. And the first and most important part to getting a great grilled cheese? The bread. Until recently, I didn’t realize the absolute importance of bread. But it will make or break your sandwich in a big way. You see, I used to use standard white bread. And that is a big no-no.
I grabbed a few different types of bread a few weeks back to taste-test the perfect grilled cheese. Out of all the ones I tried, boule is the best. It’s a really rustic, round loaf. It slices easily and tastes out of this world as grilled cheese! Be sure to butter both sides of each slice. Then, important step number two. Low heat. I know there is this weird thing that makes people want to cook with high heat. But you will murder your grilled cheese. You absolutely must use low heat. It grills the bread and makes it nice and crisp without burning it.
I fancified this grilled cheese a bit. I used two cheeses. Classic American and cheddar. Then I added a bit of pizza sauce and some crushed red pepper, just because. The results? An out-of-this-world grilled cheese sandwich. I made one for dinner. Then another for dinner the next day. And one more for lunch…
- 1 loaf of boule-style bread, sliced into ½ slices (You will have remaining bread, save it for another sandwich)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. pizza sauce
- crushed red pepper
- Take the butter and butter each slice of bread.
- Lay the slice butter side down and then top each slice with 2 slices of American cheese and 2 slices of cheddar cheese.
- Top the cheese with the pizza sauce and spread it in a thin layer. Add crushed red pepper. Place a slice of bread on top to form a sandwich.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Place the sandwich in the pan and cook until the bottom side has browned. Flip and cook until the other side browns and the cheese is melted throughout.
- Slice and serve.