Lately, we’ve been talking a lot around the house about Lent. Don’t ask me why, when Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas haven’t even passed yet. Easter is barely even a thought in my mind at this point (for the record, there are only 5 Thursdays between now and Thanksgiving. Let the panicking commence). But regardless, we’ve been talking about Lent and what we’ll give up this year. Some of us are choosing candy or cookies. I’m considering meat.
A while back, I gave up eating meat for a little bit. Probably a week or so but it was a very eye-opening experience. Giving up meat really has to be a lifestyle change. I couldn’t physically function when keeping my eating habits the same, just minus the meat. I felt tired, grumpy and starving at all times. And so if I decided to give up meat for Lent, it would be the same lifestyle change all over again. Except this time, it’d be for a longer time period and would be a lot more meaningful. I’d feel more inclined to stick to it, since it’d be a lenten sacrifice.
So when Lent rolls around this year, I’ll still need a bunch of vegetarian recipes in my backlog to keep me full. These vegetarian burrito bowls were definitely one of my favorites. They reminded me of Chipotle a bit, filled to the brim with beans, rice and veggies. They’re also fast and easy, an always welcome bonus. Feel free to jazz them up with avocado, greek yogurt or lime.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ tsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- cheddar cheese, avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add in onions and pepper and cook about five minutes until just soft.
- Add in the black beans and stir well to combine. Add the chili powder, garlic powder and salt to the pan and mix well.
- Pour the rice into the pan and stir well, making sure the rice is completely incorporated.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well to completely combine. Spoon the mixture into bowls and top with cheddar cheese, avocado and sour cream or Greek yogurt.